Some of the links below are for companies that I believe in, use and partner with. When you make purchases after clicking the link, I may be compensated for sending you their way.
The key, for me, to successful switch to healthier eating lies in still incorporating my favorite flavors. This soup is almost identical to the way I prepared it before my first round of The 21 Day Fix. Simple, delicious and flavorful, this 21 Day Fix recipe for chicken tortilla soup can be made on the stove top or in the slow cooker for an easy weeknight meal.
Meal planning is an essential part of my healthy eating success. Especially with the 21 Day Fix, if I don’t make a plan then I let myself get too hungry and I’ll eat anything easy. For dinners, I need to plan something that fits into my 21 Day Fix Extreme servings and can be easily added to for my husband who needs substantially more calories than I do. This versatile dish makes that super simple – just add rice for husbands/children. It is also useful as a fridge clean up – I will generally throw in any leftover vegetables that might work (carrots, celery, onions, kale, squash and radishes). I will also add a 1/2 green container of sauteed kale to my soup bowl to even out my servings.
- 1 lb chicken tenderloins
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 3 carrots, finely diced
- 1 can black beans, drained, rinsed & no salt added
- 28 ozs rustic cut tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 TBSP cilantro
- 1 TBSP 21 Day Fix SouthWest Seasoning
- salt and pepper, to taste
- spray of coconut oil
- optional toppings: avocado, shredded cheese, plain yogurt (these will add servings for those doing the 21 Day Fix Extreme)
- Dice chicken tenderloins, spray lightly with coconut oil and season with 21 Day Fix Extreme SouthWest Seasoning.
- Saute until lightly browned – the little browned bits sticking to the pot are okay, that’s going to contribute flavor.
- Add all of the diced vegetables and season with salt and pepper, mixing well.
- Add tomatoes, chicken stock and black beans to the pot and bring to a light boil.
- Simmer soup for 30-45 minutes on medium low (or just high enough to maintain the simmer).
- When ready to serve, stir in chopped cilantro.
For the 21 Day Fix, one serving is one cup. Since I usually have 2 yellows for my early dinner, I usually eat this soup over a 1/2 cup of rice.
TIP: For serving soup with 21 Day Fix recipes, measure your ladle. Most are either 1/2 or 1 cup!
Interested in a healthier, fitter summer? Check out my #Fit2Ride Summer Warm Up if 21 days of meal plans, recipes, and work outs + a supportive Facebook group of friends facing similar challenges would make your goals a little easier to chase!